ChrisB. on 28 Dec 2004 19:41:39 -0000

RE: [PLUG] music station

What about something such as the Linksys wireless music system?

It seems to retail for around $100 and the description states that it "lets
you bring the digital music stored on your computer to your Home
Entertainment Center, without running cables through the house"

Check it out: http://store.pcpowerzone.com/liwmwibmusy.html

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of
mdbarlow@comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 2:32 PM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [PLUG] music station

I am in the same quandry, however, I do have something in the same room.

I have looked at the following options

Cheapie dvd player that reads mp3, (not ogg friendly) (~$40 at walmart)

Someone has a wireless media center out  ($150 at walmart) not sure of
compatibility.  Ebay maybe cheaper.

Get some coax and make your own cable with RCA jacks on each end,  Check at
the rad shack for cable ends, and 3.5mm stereo jack to right and left rca
output. Twinax(remember this stuff) might work and would be handier.

Look into sound card with digital audio out.(if reciever can recieve digital
audio)
     This is if you are concerned about signal loss.

I have even considered a fiber link. (provided sound card has fiber out.)

The laptop is viable however, Not sure of sound quality on the 10 year old
laptops I have around.  Do I really want to be running an antique laptop for
hours and hours and hours.

Peace