Kevin Brosius on 30 Dec 2004 14:12:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Tis the season for computer buying?

DvB wrote:
> Since I'm too lazy (or not enough of a geek or
> hardware type) to build one myself, I thought to just
> go with Dell again since I've been fairly satisfied
> with my 7 y/o Dell. They currently have system that
> would appear to be a fairly good deal, although I
> haven't been keeping up with computer prices lately:
>
> - 2.4GHz Intel Celery
> - 256 MB 400MHz RAM
> - 80GB 7200 RPM HDD
> - 16x DVD-ROM + "free upgrade" to 48x CD-RW
> - "free upgrade" to 15" flat panel monitor
>
> - $679

Depending on your stomach for used/refurb...  I'm a pretty big fan, and
for more expensive stuff I look to ebay for used hardware.  For a single
system there is also ecost which carries refurb and new systems.

For example, HP refurb Pavilion, Athlon XP3000+, 512MB, 160GB HD, pair
of DVD/CD drives (including a DVD+RW), NIC, no-name video, Win XP
Home...  $469 (w/o monitor)

Ok, I'd avoid that one, but they have a bunch like that.  I recently
picked up a similar package with a P4 3GHz, Nvidia video and lots of I/O
(usb/firewire/card reader slots) for the $600 range.  It's happily
running SuSE 9.2 now, dual boot with the shipped Win XP.  You'll get a
30-90 day warranty, so if you have trouble you can get it resolved as
long as you do all your setup and checkout in that period.

I'd check the video especially for Linux use.  Nvidia being first on my
list (but not fully open source drivers, so decide how you feel about
that. :) )

One thing, and I think you find it try of Dell also, they don't ship Win
install media.  They give you a disk image and the option to back it up
to CD/DVD.  Then if you have to reinstall, you can restore from those
disks.  Makes it harder to move you 'Win copy' to other machines...

--
Kevin