Aaron Crosman on 30 Dec 2004 14:22:05 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Tis the season for computer buying?

 DvB wrote:
 > Since I'm too lazy (or not enough of a geek or hardware type) to
build
 > one myself, I thought to just go with Dell again since I've been
 > fairly satisfied with my 7 y/o Dell. They currently have  system that

 > would appear to be a fairly good deal, although I haven't  been
keeping
 > up with computer prices lately:
 >
 > - 2.4GHz Intel Celery
 > - 256 MB 400MHz RAM
 > - 80GB 7200 RPM HDD
 > - 16x DVD-ROM + "free upgrade" to 48x CD-RW
 > - "free upgrade" to 15" flat panel monitor
 >
 > - $679

I'm starting to wonder if prices may be about as good as they get for a
few months.  With large parts of south-east asia having bigger concerns
then our computer needs (that whole being in the middle of massive
natural disaster thing) if we're going to see price shocks in the coming
weeks.  I haven't heard anyone talking about it yet (rightly more
concerned with the more immedate problems probably), I would be surpised
if the semi-conductor industry gets away from this without major impact
as well.  Granted I'm not analyst, but seems pretty clear to me.