Stephen Gran on 10 Jan 2005 17:02:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mail Question

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 01:37:34AM -0500, Doug Crompton said:
> I am running SuSe Linux and my passwd file by default had a number of
> entries such as:
>
> man
> ftp
> amanda
> cyrus
> at
>
> and many others. My question is - why do I have these? Why do I need
> these? I am getting junk mail stored in /var/spool/mail in these account
> names. Can I delete all these non existent users? or if for some reason it
> is wise to have them in there can I block email - unknown user - to them?
> What is the minimum user base that should be in passwd?

These are system accounts, necessary so that programs can run as
non-priviledged users.  If you are gettig spam to them (not uncommon),
set up the appropriate rules in /etc/aliases - it depends on your MTA
what the syntax is, but exim4 uses :fail: <some string>, sendmail uses
:error:nouser <some string>, and I'm sure others do similar things.  You
can of course, redirect them all to root, as many people do.
|  Stephen Gran                  | mophobia, n.:  Fear of being verbally   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | abused by a Mississippian.              |