Greg Lopp on 11 Jan 2005 16:42:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] USB hard drive size limit?

From the standpoint of the USB host, the drive appears as a linear array of "logical blocks." The size and number of logical blocks is provided to the USB host, by the device, when it is first connected.

Any limitation that you might see, will be a function of the filesystem that is in use.

high_desert wrote:
Is there a size limit for an external USB hard drive on Linux? I have a
Debian file and print server on the home LAN and want to add space via a
EIDE to USB enclosure I have - but want to double check before buying. The
WD1600JB for $91 on newegg looks tasty (low idle dBs). The server is an
oldish laptop with one (free) USB port, connected to the printer by
parallel.

- Zake