Stephen Gran on 11 Jan 2005 16:41:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mail Question

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 02:50:54PM -0500, Doug Crompton said:
> I am using sendmail.
>
> I was looking in my OReilly sendmail book and I could not find any
> reference to :error: - I do see for alias -  aliasename: /dev/null though.

It is discussed in the access database section, page 314 in my copy.
Doing the above works, but it means that you accept the message and then
discard it - it seems like a waste of bandwidth.

> Does the  :error:nouser   work for just those names not in the passwd
> file? I already reject anyone not in passwd.

I think, looking over the system where I have this arrangement, I
mispoke, or spoke too broadly.  The error:nouser setting works in
virtusertable, not aliases, so you need to do some other hackery to make
it work - fortunately, there are already m4 macros for all of it :)
You'll need to set FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients') in sendmail.mc for
this trick to work.  Then in your access file, put:
To:bin@        ERROR:550 This address does not send or accept email

Or whatever address or error message you want.  This is just a
cut-n-paste, so sprinkle to taste.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | QOTD:  Talk about willing people...     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | over half of them are willing to work   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | and the others are more than willing to |
|  			         | watch them.                             |