Art Alexion on 13 Jan 2005 14:52:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Music Formats

Michael D. Barlow wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:09:11 -0500, Carl Husa <jabberwocky@luxsci.net> wrote:

I'm brand new to ripping audio files. Any experiences with or advice about
relevant Linux software, audio file formats, and mobile players is
appreciated.

I am looking at flac as my file format.

Rio puts out a mobile player that supports this, there are also several component players.

I have been using flac a lot, and here are some considerations. flac is lossless so the files are much, much larger than the standard 128 bit mp3s -- figure 20-60 MB per 5-10 minute tune. At maximum lossless compression, the flac file is about half of the size of a wav or cda file. I generally burn the flac to CD (in cda format), and then convert it to ogg using oggenc for storing and playing on a rewritable source like a hard drive or player. If I need the lossless again, I can re-rip the CD that I burnt.

I don't know how many of us have a computer based sound system of high enough quality as to discern the difference between lossless flac and lossy ogg and mp3 formats; I don't, and can't tell the difference on portables either. Nonetheless, flac is superior on the stereo and in the car. The other benefit to the lossless format is that you can re-rip and convert without further degradation. Mp3s are like jpegs; every time you save them, the compression trims off a bit of the quality.

I find ogg files to have better quality than mp3 at the same file size.

Oh, and flac files use the same tag format as ogg files. EasyTAG is great in that area.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c