Paul L. Snyder on 13 Jan 2005 19:16:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] eth card identification

Quoting "Michael C. Toren" <mct@toren.net>:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:14:20PM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> > I don't know if it was a coincidence, but eth1 disappeared from my
> > network configuration.  Now, I don't remember which card was eth1, and
> > samba won't start.  what tool can I use to identify?
>
> "ifconfig -a" will list each supported ethernet card in your system and
> their associated hardware addresses, which should be unique unless
> you've
> manually changed it.  Probably the easiest thing to do would be to boot
> the machine with only one card inserted at a time in order to determine
> which hardware address matches up with which physical card, and then to
> label each card with a sharpie so that it's readable from the outside of
> the box.

Even easier: Just pull the network cable out of one interface and run
mii-tool.  It will report link ok/no link for all the cards in your
system, by interface name.  (It's also useful for dealing with
Ethernet autonegotiation problems.)

It's part of net-tools, so it's probably already lurking around your
sbin.

pls