Michael D. Barlow on 13 Jan 2005 23:58:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Noob linux user wannabe who wants to know WHERE to be

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:51:53 -0800 (PST), The Dark One <dark_knight_zerous@yahoo.com> wrote:

Ok everyone, I know that you've probably heard this
question a million times from a million different
people so please forgive me for being #1,000,0001. I'm
a resident windows user who is seriously ready to
switch things up and jump ship to linux. Now, for the
research i've done so far, the consensus on the best
distro's for newbies who really want to learn the OS
like me are debian, mandrake, and suse. So, if anyone
could offer some extra advice on exactly which "ship"
I should jump to here, or what the majority distro
used here in philly is so i'll have some people to
talk to about it, i'd really appreciate it. Later days
:)

=====
--
"There's no shame in going out to fight and getting your ass kicked...but there's no honor in not fighting at all."
-WWE's Undertaker

dark_knight_zerous@yahoo.com

I am in learning phase as well. It took about four years to really get into it. Fortunately the live cd distributions have given me the convenience of having a system that just works, while I have another system to do the learning on. It is much easier with two systems side by side. One to work on and the other to reference. On the learning computer I am playing with a few live distributions. If I get enough time, I plan to do Linux from Scratch for the nitty gritty. The new computer I am building now will be fairly up to date. I am considering Suse for it but these Live distros have kind of turned me on to Debian. It has been a while since using a rpm based distribution. I always had a hard time with them.(Dependencies and such) It could have been my inexperience causing me to beat my head against the wall.

The nice thing about the live distro is that it is a little more difficult to break. You can always reboot into windows. You can always reformat/partition the hard drive and reboot with not having a 1-2 hr install in front of you. For those of you who say that breaking the system is the best way to learn,,, I agree. However, doing this on your primary machine gets tedious.