high_desert on 14 Jan 2005 06:02:49 -0000

RE: NTFS (was Re: [PLUG] USB hard drive size limit?)

--> McLinux wrote:
--> > Yeah there is a software on Win32 to read ext3 fs ( however read
only).
--> >  Umm since I would like to have read write option both I have kept 3/4
th
--> >  of disk as vfat and 1/4 as ext3 fs. This way I can use rsync and
linux
--> >  wont complain about permissions. As u know NTFS right now is read
only,
--> >  hence I choose VFAT.
-->
--> It looks like some people are using captive for NTFS rw support.  Also,
--> SUSE seems to ship a partially functional NTFS rw driver.  However, what
--> I can find about it says it can only re-writing existing files to the
--> same size safely.
--> A thread about SUSE:
--> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=9455
--> Captive:
--> http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
--> Kevin Brosius

Thanks list. Think I'll go with a big drive, mostly ext3, then a few gigs of
vfat for if I go portable (USB enclosure) and need to glom stuff from a
windows box.