Art Alexion on 15 Jan 2005 17:46:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] eth card identification

Jason Costomiris wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:14:20 -0500, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:

what tool can I use to identify? Strangely, I have both cards now
configured for lan, rp-pppoe works anyway, and samba won't start.

Probably the simplest way that doesn't involve opening up the machine to look at the MAC address on the cards is to just unplug one of them and see which network croaks. As long as this isn't a mission-critical machine we're talking about here, you should be able to do this without causing a lot of trouble..

As previously mentioned, the problem seemed to solve itself when Verizon service was restored and I rebooted the machine. Before, that happened, neither the lan nor ppp worked on either card. I find it strange, based on my personal Linux experience, that rebooting, a la MS OSes, would in and of itself fix things. I also find it strange that the inability to make a pppoe connection on eth0 (as I now have identified it) would knock out eth1's ability to connect to the lan. I would think that they are totally independent circumstances, or would IP forwarding have something to do with it?

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c