Art Alexion on 15 Jan 2005 17:54:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Noob linux user wannabe who wants to know WHERE to be

ChrisB. wrote:

I see two answers to this question.

Do you want to just use Linux on your desktop with a GUI? If so then I would
suggest any of the three you mentioned and buy a book. I believe a good book
for such a need is "Point & Click Linux!"

This is how I actually started. I bought RedHat 5.2 boxed and couldn't get it to load on the test machine which had an external scsi cdrom drive. By the time I had another machine with a dead windows install to test it on, 5.2 was no longer supported, so I bought Red Hat [6.2] for Dummies by Jon "maddog" Hall. It was not only a good intro, but included the CDs for the OS.
If you don't want to go that route, and don't want to do it the hard way as many have suggested, try Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntulinux.org). It is designed for Linux beginners, and is an attempt at overcoming the historical difficulty in configuring Debian. It downloads as a single iso, and then you install the pieces that you need via a nice program called apt (command line) or synaptic (gui). It is well supported via a nice wiki and a list at users@ubuntulinux.org. As an added bonus, because it is Debian-based, there are a lot of people on this list with insight in spite of the fact that they don't use Ubuntu specifically.