Eric J. Roode on 20 Jan 2005 15:00:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] If the linux people despise windows...How come...

George Gallen wrote:

OK. This is not meant to be a troll for flames....but

If the Linux community despises windows that much, why does each
  newer version of linux (at least Redhat/Fedora), look more and more
  like windows?

Granted, it may run better, with less overhead and problems, but as
the saying goes, isn't imitation the greatest form of flattery?

There's a profound difference between what you see, and what's under the
hood.

Windows *has* a very nice interface for many things.  It's a nice system
for users to run pretty programs and make pretty documents and get good
productive work done without being experts.  There's nothing wrong with
that, and to the extent that Windows has nice features, other OSes
should borrow the ideas, or who knows, improve upon them.

However, under the hood, Windows is very secretive.  You're Not Supposed
To Know Or Care what goes on.  Trust Us, It Works.  With Windows, I can
start and stop services, and not much else.  In *nix, I can configure
the bejeebers out of all the daemons that run.  I can start things,
stop'em, send'em signals, do all sorts of things.  I can even get the
source code and tweak things and recompile them if I choose (and have
the skills).

Linux, and unices in general, are more modular, more configurable, more
stable, smaller and lighter, than any version of Windows. You have to
have more skill in order to do anything under the covers, but you CAN
get at the innards to do whatever you need.

/my two cents'...
--
Eric