Art Clemons on 21 Jan 2005 01:23:10 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Intel 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 sound issue

Now, I've installed the alsa newest driver which was
recommended by ALSA's website. I installed it in
/usr/include/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.5rc1  directory, as
instructed by Alsa. When i rebooted Alsa-mixer
wouldn't work at all. When I try to open "Volume
Control" I get an error "Sorry, no mixer elements
and/or devices found." If I try to start it from the
terminal I get an error "alsamixer: function
snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device or
address

First, the latest version of Alsa is 1.0.8 (look on http://alsa-project.org). However most 2.6. kernels come with a relatively recent version of alsa as part of the kernel for the modules portion. You probably can just update the alsa-lib and alsa-utilities, no real problem, however I don't understand why you installed the driver where you did, that's not quite how it works. The /usr/include/alsa has mostly various and sundry *.h files from alsa.

When you get the error you got, it's a good bet that the proper alsa modules aren't loaded if you check with lsmod or cat /proc/modules.