Asmir Murselovic on 21 Jan 2005 01:43:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Intel 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 sound issue

You're right, the alsa modules are not loading.
How can I fix this?

[root@laptop root]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
soundcore              10017  0
parport_pc             26501  0
lp                     12077  0
parport                37257  2 parport_pc,lp
autofs4                23365  0
pcmcia                 21189  4
yenta_socket           19137  1
pcmcia_core            51713  2 pcmcia,yenta_socket
sunrpc                155813  1
8139too                26305  0
mii                     4801  1 8139too
ipt_REJECT              6593  1
ipt_state               2113  6
ip_conntrack           41205  1 ipt_state
iptable_filter          3777  1
ip_tables              16577  3
ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
sg                     34145  0
scsi_mod              122177  1 sg
microcode               6497  0
vfat                   12737  1
fat                    40033  1 vfat
dm_mod                 56021  0
uhci_hcd               31577  0
ehci_hcd               34761  0
video                  15813  0
toshiba_acpi            5845  0
button                  6609  0
battery                 9413  0
ac                      4933  0
md5                     4161  1
ipv6                  235649  16
ext3                  120905  2
jbd                    69209  1 ext3

--- Art Clemons <artclemons@aol.com> wrote:

> > Now, I've installed the alsa newest driver which
> was
> > recommended by ALSA's website. I installed it in
> > /usr/include/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.5rc1  directory,
> as
> > instructed by Alsa. When i rebooted Alsa-mixer
> > wouldn't work at all. When I try to open "Volume
> > Control" I get an error "Sorry, no mixer elements
> > and/or devices found." If I try to start it from
> the
> > terminal I get an error "alsamixer: function
> > snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device or
> > address
>

> First, the latest version of Alsa is 1.0.8 (look on
> http://alsa-project.org).  However most 2.6. kernels
> come with a
> relatively recent version of alsa as part of the
> kernel for the modules
> portion.  You probably can just update the alsa-lib
> and alsa-utilities,
> no real problem, however I don't understand why you
> installed the driver
> where you did, that's not quite how it works.  The
> /usr/include/alsa has
> mostly various and sundry *.h files from alsa.
>
> When you get the error you got, it's a good bet that
> the proper alsa
> modules aren't loaded if you check with lsmod or cat
> /proc/modules.

=====
Asmir Murselovic