Chad Waters on 4 Feb 2005 14:36:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Basic Post-Install Config?

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:05:38 -0500 (EST), Doug Crompton
<doug@crompton.com> wrote:
> In Router terms DMZ means wide open. The DMZ host see's all traffic.
> Better to port forward the ports to the IP address(es) that serve them.
> Only those ports are forwarded to the associated IP's. It does not matter
> if a port is open on the inside PC. If it is not forwarded it is not
> getting there. That being said it is still a good idea to limit ports to
> those used. But for instance if you want local telnet and you don't
> forward port 23, the WAN side isn't getting there!

Yes, in regards to consumer grade routers (ie Linksys), a "DMZ" is worthless.

I was referring to the more traditional implementation, that is
isolating servers on their own network.

Notice I said "if possible": that could be as easy as putting 3 NICs
into an old toaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demilitarized_zone_%28computing%29

--
-Chad C Waters