Walt Mankowski on 4 Feb 2005 20:37:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mainliners - Please Share Your Route To PLUG

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 08:19:59AM -0500, David Kaplowitz wrote:
> I'm coming from Narberth and though I've been to the meeting a dozen
> times I tend to wind up taking a different route every time I come to
> the meeting. It's usually a variation on the Lancaster to 52nd st., left
> on Baltimore theme. That works, but it's not a very pretty or smooth
> flowing drive. Have any of you forged a path that you particularly like?
> I'd sure like to hear alternatives to the one(s) I take. Thanks!

Here's how I go when I'm coming from Rosemont:

1. East on Haverford to 63rd.  (From Narberth it might be easier to
   take Lancaster to 63rd.  That also avoids the somewhat confusing
   detour where the bridge is out near Haverford and Lansdowne.)

2. Turn right on 63rd, and continue to Chestnut St.  That's the first
   traffic light after you go under the el tracks.

3. Turn left on Chestnut, and continue to 42nd St.  That sounds like
   it might be bad since you have to go through 21 traffic lights, but
   they've got the lights timed so chances are you'll make most of
   them.

4. Turn right at 42nd and continue to Baltimore.

5. Turn right on Baltimore and continue until you reach 43rd.  That's
   the intersection where the Best House and the Green Line Cafe will
   be on your right.

6. Turn left on 43rd and continue a few blocks to USP.

Note that the intersection of 43rd and Baltimore can be a bit
confusing.  43rd is one-way to the north of Baltimore (that's why you
have to circle around on 42nd) but two ways south of Baltimore.  But
the Philadelphia Streets Department, in their infinite wisdom, have
put the one-way sign on the *south* side of the intersection.  So you
might *think* you can't make a left there, but you can.  Really.

Walt