Mike on 9 Feb 2005 03:38:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Hardware acqusition - dumb newbie question

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:45:21 -0500, "John Desmond" <jafd@fast.net> said:
> Salutations, gentlefolk,
>
> Yours truly was surveying the pile of //junk// stuf in his home,
> concluded that I have almost enuf parts to build another computer,
> thought 'twould be a good idea to make it a Linux box and get
> started climbing the learning curve... (OK, an Asus PZL-97
> motherboard and a Celeron-300, aren't the latest, but are still too
> new to donate to museum)
>
> Anyway, I'll need video and sound cards.  Want to make sure they have
> Linux drivers.  Suggest, please, a good vendor.

Try Matrox for your video card. I got a Millennium II for $10 on eBay
and it seems very well supported -- works flawlessly on my system. I had
a Diamond Speedstar Pro before but I discovered there's something about
its chipset that makes it not play nicely with the more recent
drivers... or something like that. Personally I wouldn't bother getting
the sound card configured or even getting a sound card until you've got
the rest of the system working; YMMV.

FYI, I'm running Gentoo on an old Gateway 2000 with an AMD K6 233 MHz
CPU; I replaced the hard drive and maxed out the RAM (only to 256M, but
that's better than the 32M it came with). Now the CPU is the real
bottleneck in this system, as it will probably be in yours. Which is
something to consider before you go for a "compile everything from
scratch" distro like Gentoo, though it has other benefits.

Mike