sandy on 22 Feb 2005 01:58:16 -0000

[PLUG] Moving to the Linux Business Desktop by Marcel Gagne : book reveiw

    Moving to the Linux Business Desktop  by Marcel Gagne
       published by Addison Wesley  in paperback

    reviewed by Sandy Basickes.  Reveiwer's pay: a free copy from the publisher.

    Moving to the Linux Business Desktop   is not just for businesses.
    The book is a very good introduction to the Linux  "Windows" environment.
    I have been using linux since 1998, but I have not used the desktop
    environment.
    I could therefore approach the topic as a novice.  I followed the
    instructions and tried out OpenSSH, and the chapters on KDE.
    I followed the book and installed KDE.  I then went thru the chapters
    on KDE ,surfing the net.  The book is very clearly written. I found it
    easy to follow his instructions.
    I also read his chapter on backup,
    which I am familar with. The back up mehtod that Mr. Gagne proposes
    is "right on" .   I would advise any novice to follow the advise.