Jason Costomiris on 22 Feb 2005 20:54:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] assign dhcp address using dhcp-client-identifier?

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:49:36 -0500, Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote:
> class "laptop" {
>    match if substring (option dhcp-client-identifier, 1, 7) = "samwise";
>    fixed-address x.y.z.35;
> }
>
> Is one way to handle it.

Unfortunately, this does not work.  When the dhcpd starts up, I'm told
that the fixed-address parameter is not permitted there.  This is
using isc dhcpd 3.0.1.

> There is also
>
> match pick-first-value (option dhcp-client-identifier, hardware)

The man pages seem particularly vague, and lacking in useful examples.
 It's chock full of examples, just what seem to be very fragmented,
and out of useful context.  Were I able to find a good howto on this,
I'd be set, but one doesn't seem to be around..

> and the like.  If you're not using dhcpd v.3 or above, I recommend
> upgrading.  The docs alone make it worth it.

And what docs are those?  The only docs I see are a few man pages, and
some RFCs that cover DHCP in general, not the isc dhcpd..

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} gmail {dot} com / W: http://www.jasons.org/