Stephen Gran on 23 Feb 2005 15:40:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] assign dhcp address using dhcp-client-identifier?

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 03:54:41PM -0500, Jason Costomiris said:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:49:36 -0500, Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote:
> > class "laptop" {
> >    match if substring (option dhcp-client-identifier, 1, 7) = "samwise";
> >    fixed-address x.y.z.35;
> > }
> >
> > Is one way to handle it.
>
> Unfortunately, this does not work.  When the dhcpd starts up, I'm told
> that the fixed-address parameter is not permitted there.  This is
> using isc dhcpd 3.0.1.
>

> > There is also
> >
> > match pick-first-value (option dhcp-client-identifier, hardware)
>
> The man pages seem particularly vague, and lacking in useful examples.
>  It's chock full of examples, just what seem to be very fragmented,
> and out of useful context.  Were I able to find a good howto on this,
> I'd be set, but one doesn't seem to be around..
>

> > and the like.  If you're not using dhcpd v.3 or above, I recommend
> > upgrading.  The docs alone make it worth it.
>
> And what docs are those?  The only docs I see are a few man pages, and
> some RFCs that cover DHCP in general, not the isc dhcpd..

The manpage for dhcp-options, for one, was not AFAICR present in v.2.
It is very helpful, and full of suggestions about how to do the kinds
of things you're doing.  It lets you know that you can use the 'option
dhcp-client-identifier' statement inside of a host declaration, for
instance.

take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | It's hard to think of you as the end    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | result of millions of years of          |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | evolution.                              |