Art Alexion on 24 Feb 2005 20:54:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cd recording frustration

Carlos Konstanski wrote:

In the meantime, you can try this, just as a sanity check:

    - Get a knoppix CD;
    - Boot into the 2.4 kernel on the knoppix CD (you have a choice of
      2.4 or 2.6; 2.4 is the default);
    - Burn that CD while running under knoppix, using the old SCSI
      device enumeration dev=0,0,0 or whatever cdrecord -scanbus reports
      as the SCSI node of your CDROM.

If your CD turns out better, then we either have an issue with the
kernel or with the CDROM's ability to work properly with ide_cd.

This was going to be my next step. I have the latest knoppix version that I was going to use on the windows machine and I was going to try it on this machine to see if was configuration or hardware.

You mentioned that neither module is loaded on your system.  That means
either they are compiled into the kernel, or they are absent.

Do you have a /boot/config-<kernel-version> file?  It is likely that
this plaintext file contains the configuration used to build your
kernel.  You can open it with less and look for the following:

    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
    CONFIG_SCSI=m
    CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
    CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
    CONFIG_JOLIET=y

"y" means it's compiled into the kernel image; "m" means it's a kernel
module. If you have both CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD and
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI set to "m", you can then convert your CDROM
between IDE and SCSI mode at runtime for the sake of experimentation by
rmmod'ing one module and modprobe'ing the other. That is one reason to
compile these as modules. Another reason is so you can easily tell
which one you have running with lsmod.

Here is what I have:

   #
   # ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
   #
   CONFIG_IDE=m
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m

   #
   # Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
   #
   # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m
   # CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE is not set
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS=m
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=m
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
   # CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set
   CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO=y

   #
   # IDE chipset support/bugfixes
   #
   CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=m
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640=y
   # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640_ENHANCED is not set
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPNP=m
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
   CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
   # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD is not set
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC=m
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OPTI621=m

   #
   # SCSI device support
   #
   CONFIG_SCSI=m
   CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
   # SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
   #
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
   CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m
   CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST=m
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
   # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR is not set
   CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m
   CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SCH=m

   #
   # Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
   #
   CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
   CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
   CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING=y

   #
   # SCSI Transport Attributes
   #
   CONFIG_SCSI_SPI_ATTRS=m
   CONFIG_SCSI_FC_ATTRS=m

As usual, I digress. I'd see if you can burn a CD with a 2.4 kernel
under knoppix with SCSI emulation, and go from there.

Looks like I did it with Bill Jonas' media format conversion script. Still warnings, but the result was fine.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c