Carlos Konstanski on 24 Feb 2005 17:29:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cd recording frustration

Most people use a kernel that came with their distribution or package
management system (apt, rpm, emerge, etc).  These kernels have 2
problems:

     - Everything is turned on to make it work on everyone's machine;
     - You usually don't get the full source, meaning you can't rebuild
       it.

I would go to www.kernel.org and download the full source for the latest
production kernel - 2.6.10 at this time, and then build the kernel
yourself.  This is a topic unto itself, so I won't get into it right
here and now.

In the meantime, you can try this, just as a sanity check:

     - Get a knoppix CD;
     - Boot into the 2.4 kernel on the knoppix CD (you have a choice of
       2.4 or 2.6; 2.4 is the default);
     - Burn that CD while running under knoppix, using the old SCSI
       device enumeration dev=0,0,0 or whatever cdrecord -scanbus reports
       as the SCSI node of your CDROM.

If your CD turns out better, then we either have an issue with the
kernel or with the CDROM's ability to work properly with ide_cd.

You mentioned that neither module is loaded on your system.  That means
either they are compiled into the kernel, or they are absent.

Do you have a /boot/config-<kernel-version> file?  It is likely that
this plaintext file contains the configuration used to build your
kernel.  You can open it with less and look for the following:

     CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
     CONFIG_SCSI=m
     CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
     CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
     CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
     CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
     CONFIG_JOLIET=y

"y" means it's compiled into the kernel image; "m" means it's a kernel
module.  If you have both CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD and
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI set to "m", you can then convert your CDROM
between IDE and SCSI mode at runtime for the sake of experimentation by
rmmod'ing one module and modprobe'ing the other.  That is one reason to
compile these as modules.  Another reason is so you can easily tell
which one you have running with lsmod.

If you were really building a kernel, it is far more likely that you
would not edit the config file directly, but rather use "make
menuconfig" instead.  menuconfig has the ability to recognize
dependencies that you would never know about when editing the file
directly.

If you get to the point where you decide your kernel needs rebuilding,
and you can't find the help you need, I will be glad to help.  Be
warned - knowing which config options to turn on and off is not a 100%
straightforward procedure.  It takes trial and error, at least until
you know your machine and your kernel.  Keep your old kernel around
until you know you have something reasonably stable.

These 2 commands will tell you almost everything you need to know to
build a truly optimized kernel for your particular machine:

     lspci
     cat /proc/cpuinfo

A "stock" kernel has way too much stuff turned on, which results in a
bloated image and module list, which eats up RAM at runtime.  Also, more
kernel code running means more chance of conflict between 2 or more
drivers.  This is where the art of config-tweaking comes in.

As usual, I digress.  I'd see if you can burn a CD with a 2.4 kernel
under knoppix with SCSI emulation, and go from there.  If this produces
the same results, a new kernel is not the answer (but still a good
idea).  If a knoppix 2.4 kernel doesn't do it for you, I'm not sure
where this goes, other than trying a CDROM that is known to work, like a
Lite-On or a Plextor.