Bill Jonas on 24 Feb 2005 22:15:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cd recording frustration

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 02:21:26PM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> Great!! worked.  Here are the changes that I made

Glad it helped. :-)

>    #/bin/bash
>
>    for i in
>    /home/arthur/music/Pharoah_Sanders_Lugano_18_september_2004/disc2/*.flac;
>    do flac -d $i -o ${i//flac/wav}; sox \
>    ${i//flac/wav} ${i//flac/cdr}; done
>
>    cdrecord -v speed=10 dev=/dev/hdc driveropts=burnfree -dao -pad -audio
>    /home/arthur/music/Pharoah_Sanders_Lugano_18_september_2004/disc2/*.cdr
>
> If you could please indulge me further:
>
>   1. Is there a way to change the script so that it works in any
>      directory without modification?

Depends on exactly how you want it to work.  If you want it to take a
list of files, I'd change it like so:

  for i in "$*"; do <the same stuff>; done
  cdrecord <options> ${*//flac/cdr}

If you want to just specify a directory and get all the files in it, try:

  for i in "${1}/*.flac"; do <the same stuff>; done
  cdrecord <options> "${1}/*.cdr"

You'll probably also want to delete the files created by the script --
exercise left for the reader.

>   2. The GUI frontends that I tried are supposed to work with OGG and
>      FLAC files, yet they produced the same kinds of disk (when they
>      worked at all) as I was getting trying to go with the command line
>      cdrecord directly from FLAC.  What could be wrong?

No idea.  Maybe they're not finding flac(1) or there's a bug in the
program.

>   3. should I be concerned about the continued rr warnings?

Enh, it's been a while since I've burned CDs (just haven't had a need to
lately).  I do recall, however, cdrecord being verbose with warnings if
things weren't exactly to its liking.  If it's working for you, then
don't worry about it.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step
into the Road,  and if you don't keep your feet,  there  is  no knowing
where you might be swept off to."  --  Bilbo Baggins