Art Alexion on 27 Feb 2005 15:48:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OSX "middleware"?

William H. Magill wrote:

On 25 Feb, 2005, at 08:51, Art Alexion wrote:

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but these sorts of marketing decisions that override engineering considerations fascinate me.

Throughout history, Marketing has always trumped Engineering.

. . .

Neither Michael Dell nor Bill gates are "Engineering Giants" -- but both are marketing geniuses.

The only reason that Linux became a household word was because a certain evangelist [who, I think is still on this list :)] got Linus on the Cover of Forbes, Fortune and Time (I think those were the covers). And as they say, the rest is history. [Many of us in DECUS had long before recognized what Linux was all about, but the marketing folks in DEC could only say "VMS." Finally, after much finagling, Maddog managed to get him an Alpha to develop on. And early versions of Linux were ported from Alpha to x86 as a result.]

Agreed. So how does free/open source fit into this? While f/oss eliminates acquisition costs, administration costs continue. That means some profit motive is eliminated while some remains.

Is there any reason to believe that the oss model avoids some of the marketing dominance over engineering?

BTW. I think another factor is "ergonomics" (I don't like the term "usability"). Some of what passes for superior marketing is really superior understanding of how people use or want to use products. I think an example of this is Microsoft's inability to crush it's PDA and smartphone competitors the way that it has crushed other competitors. I think that is because MS doesn't understand that a PDA is not just a tiny laptop -- that people have different needs and uses for them -- where simplicity trumps power. Likewise, even a smartphone is primarily a phone for most people, so it should be one ergonomically. The MS powered phones tend to be about 25-33% larger with touchscreen rather than physical phone buttons. The MS units have more memory, but it is irrelevant to the user because it is used for the OS and the display.

Another example of this ergonomics thing is the enduring popularity of J-Pilot vs. Evolution. The latter is in continuous development and much more powerful, but the former -- while not seeing any development in years continues to be more reliable and easier to use for the things that people use it for.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c