William H. Magill on 4 Mar 2005 18:09:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dyndns + speakeasy

On 02 Mar, 2005, at 10:45, Eugene Smiley wrote:
William H. Magill wrote:
Verizon and Speakeasy are both reselling the same Verizon local
loop.

Cavalier, however, is a CLEC, and it "owns" that last mile, not
Verizon. (It's a legal thing, not physical, but it is a completely
different setup than Speakeasy simply buying and reselling a
Verizon DSL loop.)

Ok. I guess I'm confused. When I had my line provisioned, it was a Verizon line tech who came out to "install" the the line at the NID. What you're saying is that Verizon is selling instead of renting the loops to Cavalier?

Yes... Although it's probably more like a commercial lease than either renting
or selling. The whole process is controlled by FCC/PUC definitions.

As I understand the rate process, when a CLEC takes control of a line,
the line becomes theirs, Verizon no longer has any control or "access" to
the line.

If there is a wire problem, the CLEC must contact Verizon, and pay
Verizon to "roll the truck."

The difference is that Speakeasy is paying Verizion to provide a working
DSL line (which they pay for at a bulk rate) whereas Cavalier is simply
paying for "dry-copper." Note that this is the same setup that Covad uses
... COVAD "buys" a "dry-copper" pair from Verizon. Verizon installs the
copper (which has no dial-tone), then COVAD installs the DSL.

Another way to look at it is that in the CO, the "dry-copper" line connects
directly to the CLEC's equipment, bypassing all Verizon equipment.
Whereas Speakeasy is simply getting a data feed off the back-side of
Verizon's DSLAM. The CLEC equipment provides your dial-tone not Verizon's.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.3.8
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com
whmagill@gmail.com