Eric Hidle on 10 Mar 2005 11:09:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Hardware RAID + [COS]

I have a 4-disk raid array that has been running 24/7 on IDE drives and a
Promise SX4000 raid controller for 3 years without so much as a hiccup.. I
would not recommend promise, though, because they give you only binary
drivers that must be used with a stock Redhat kernel. They're morons for not
giving their source to the kernel maintainers, but hey, if they want to have
a flawed business model, that's their choice. 3Ware controllers are more
expensive, but have kernel source drivers and are probably better anyway.

Personally, I like Raid-5 since I don't care about the slightly slower
performance. The array is still faster than my network, so it doesn't
matter.

Speaking of fast networks, has anyone ever actually gotten gigabit ethernet
stuff to do decent speed? I spent a ton of money on nice SMC switches that
support jumbo frames and the SMC cards to go along with them, and I still
can only get about 125mbit/s out of them. Slightly better than the 90 I got
out of my 10/100 cards... but abyssmal for the cost... MTUs are 9K, but I
still can't get any decent speed out of them... does anyone have experience
in this?

ps. COS = Change of Subject...