Doug Crompton on 10 Mar 2005 06:19:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Hardware RAID

Remember that many items that we buy have longer warranties simply because
you pay more for it. It is kind of an upfront insurance. You pay more so
they can afford to cover it longer. SCSI drives are typically much higher
in price then corresponding IDE drives. In fact sometimes almost twice as
much or more. You could probably setup a RAID 5 IDE for the price of a two
drive mirrored SCSI.

Heat is a big issue in drive life. Liquid cooling is an option. A friend
has a RAID array liquid cooled as well as the CPU.

Doug

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, James Kelly wrote:

> I think where IDE got this reputation is that they are known to eat
> themselves alive under heavy load (ie constant reads and writes).  This
> is the kind of thing you have in a server environment, where at home you
> have access only when you want to play.  Or at least this is the CW.

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *