Eric Hidle on 10 Mar 2005 13:01:23 -0000

[PLUG] Routing and Load Balancing

Hey all, I have a neat setup here that I am hoping to get some help with. I
now have two DSL connections with my ISP (DCA.net) and am trying to get some
form of upstream (don't care about downstream) load balancing to work. Here
is my setup:

ISP1: A.B.C.D/24
ISP2: A.B.C.E/24
Gateway: A.B.C.1

Local Subnet: A.B.X.Y/28  (a real, routed net, not a masqed net)

Note that both of my upstream connections are on the same subnet and use the
same gateway.

I have had some limited success using the iptables nth and route patches to
split outgoing http responses from the webserver which sits on the local
subnet. Folks can download from my webserver over http at 2x bandwidth all
day long with no problem. But, when I try to balance other outgoing traffic,
such as FTP, everything breaks. Also, when I try to load balance everything,
the machines on the local subnet can't get out (i.e. their requests go
somewhere, but I don't know where)... It is clear that C.1 is allowing
outgoing traffic from my local subnet to show up coming from either C.D or
C.E, so it's confusing as to why other protocols and local traffic won't
work..

Anyway, I'd appreciate any clues from more experienced folks..
Thanks in advance!
Eric