Jason Costomiris on 10 Mar 2005 14:21:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Hardware RAID

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:09:01 -0500, Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com> wrote:
> I've now learned that (I think) we want RAID-1 (mirroring), and located
> a PCI card at CompUSA for about $60.  (Not interested in software RAID.)
> In general, is adding RAID-1 to a machine going to consist of plugging
> in the card, plugging the drives into the card (assuming that one is
> blank and formatted, and the other, identically-sized one, has our OS
> and data) and turning the machine on?

Chances are that $60 raid card actually uses software for RAID operations.

You can't go wrong with 3ware IDE RAID cards.  They cost a bit more,
but it's honest-to-goodness actual RAID.  They have both Parallel and
Serial ATA cards.

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} gmail {dot} com / W: http://www.jasons.org/