sean finney on 10 Mar 2005 02:28:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Hardware RAID

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 07:09:01PM -0500, Greg Helledy wrote:
> I've now learned that (I think) we want RAID-1 (mirroring), and located

if the controller supports it, raid 10 is a slightly better choice
performance wise.  raid 5 (or 50) saves you a little on space/disk cost
at the expense of a theoretical performance trade off (i don't think
this is even the case anymore).

> In general, is adding RAID-1 to a machine going to consist of plugging
> in the card, plugging the drives into the card (assuming that one is
> blank and formatted, and the other, identically-sized one, has our OS
> and data) and turning the machine on?

probably no, but it may depend on the controller card.  usually you
have to create a "container" from the physical disks, and then
scrub them down (losing all data) before the disks are presented as
a logical disk to the os.

> There's a lot of info online about the types of RAID and what's best for
> what, but can anyone point me to instructions on the easiest way to
> actually implement it?

the raid controller card should take care of everything assuming you
know what raid type you want.  after that the os just sees a normal
old disk.

	sean