LeRoy Cressy on 10 Mar 2005 01:21:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Hardware RAID

Greg Helledy wrote:
> Non-linux-specific question:
>
> My company has a few machines which act as servers for email, internet
> gateway, etc (running XP).  A recent drive failure prompted me to
> suggest RAID, even though I knew almost nothing about it.
>
> I've now learned that (I think) we want RAID-1 (mirroring), and located
> a PCI card at CompUSA for about $60.  (Not interested in software RAID.)
> In general, is adding RAID-1 to a machine going to consist of plugging
> in the card, plugging the drives into the card (assuming that one is
> blank and formatted, and the other, identically-sized one, has our OS
> and data) and turning the machine on?
>
> There's a lot of info online about the types of RAID and what's best for
> what, but can anyone point me to instructions on the easiest way to
> actually implement it?

As far as raid is concerned on a server system I would go with SCSI RAID
and purchase SCSI drives which have a 5 year warranty on them.  IDE
drives do not have such a warranty and are not ment to be up 24/7.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=ASC-29320A-R&cat=%2fTechnology%2fSCSI%2fUltra320+SCSI+PCI-X

Adaptec hac a nice card that not only will do RAID but will support your
50 pin cd/dvd SCSI burners.

I saw this card on pricewatch or one of the other comparison places for
$120.00 recently.

> Thanks,
>
> Greg Helledy

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
                       FAX:    215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/