Greg Helledy on 9 Mar 2005 23:52:21 -0000

[PLUG] Hardware RAID

Non-linux-specific question:

My company has a few machines which act as servers for email, internet gateway, etc (running XP). A recent drive failure prompted me to suggest RAID, even though I knew almost nothing about it.

I've now learned that (I think) we want RAID-1 (mirroring), and located a PCI card at CompUSA for about $60. (Not interested in software RAID.) In general, is adding RAID-1 to a machine going to consist of plugging in the card, plugging the drives into the card (assuming that one is blank and formatted, and the other, identically-sized one, has our OS and data) and turning the machine on?

There's a lot of info online about the types of RAID and what's best for what, but can anyone point me to instructions on the easiest way to actually implement it?

Thanks,

Greg Helledy

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (postmaster@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise