Chris on 8 Apr 2005 20:23:56 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Fwd: Wireless Philadelphia ... RFP available

I think the bigger issue with this initiative is the bill that Governor
Rendell signed to allow the Telco companies the chance to block any
community based WiFi access program. Basically Verizon said it would allow
Philadelphia to go through with its plans and Verizon, but where does that
leave every other county in PA?

I like our gov. don't get me wrong but for some reason that just doesn't sit
right with me.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of William H. Magill
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 4:19 PM
To: PLUG List
Subject: [PLUG] Fwd: Wireless Philadelphia ... RFP available

As I understand it, not much more than this was said.

The RFP is most easily downloaded from www.phila.gov/wireless in the
left hand frame.

Begin forwarded message:
>      Mayor John F. Street Announces Plan to
>               Implement Vision for a "Wireless Philadelphia"
>  Proposal Will Extend Reach of Broadband Access and Conquer Digital
> Divide
>

> PHILADELPHIA - Today, Mayor John F. Street rolled out the details of
> the
> visionary "Wireless Philadelphia" Business Plan.  Joining Mayor Street
> at the City Hall press conference were members of the Wireless
> Philadelphia Executive Committee, who drafted the plan.  In 2004, when
> Mayor Street appointed the diverse 17-person committee, members were
> charged with developing a public-private partnership to provide
> wireless Internet access throughout the city.  Key goals were to
> promote economic development, help overcome the digital divide and to
> improve the quality of life for every resident, business owner and
> visitor.
>
> "Today is a great day for Philadelphia and the thousands of businesses
> and tens of thousands of families and children who will benefit from
> our
> Wireless initiative," Mayor Street said.  "Just as roads and
> transportation were keys to our past, a digital infrastructure and
> wireless technology are keys to our future.  To ensure Philadelphia is
> a 21st century city, we now must begin planning for the next
> generation."
>

> Mayor Street also announced the formation of "Wireless Philadelphia," a
> Pennsylvania nonprofit corporation, and issued the release of the
> nonprofit's RFP, available for download at www.phila.gov/wireless and
> www.phila.gov/rfp.
>
> In October 2004, the City made wireless technology available in LOVE
> Park. By May 2005, at least a dozen "hot zones" will also be available
> for service login. Today's proposal allows private service providers
> to deliver broadband access to the Internet by the end of the year.
>

> "The Wireless Philadelphia Executive Committee has done an excellent
> job of building a plan to lay the foundation for Philadelphia as a
> Digital City and to make broadband affordable," said Dianah Neff,
> Philadelphia's Chief Information Officer.  "The benefits of this
> transformative technology are broad and far-reaching.  I am extremely
> proud of the work they have done and look forward to helping implement
> their proposal on behalf of the
> Mayor."
>

> Critical to the "Wireless Philadelphia" proposal announced today is how
> this initiative will help conquer the economic and social disadvantage
> experienced by those without affordable access to technology, known as
> the "digital divide."  Government has long worked to ensure key
> infrastructure be made available to its citizens, such as the
> deployment of electricity and phone services.  Philadelphia's proposal
> will help low-income and disadvantaged individuals and businesses gain
> unprecedented access to technology

> [...]

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.3.8
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com
whmagill@gmail.com