Doug Crompton on 11 Apr 2005 00:04:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT:Phone & DSL service?

That sounds high but the others have about the same add-ons so Verizon at
$30 for DSL plus about another $30 for phone would be more. You can't get
around it unless you use VOIP. If you are worried about power outages with
VOIP you could put your modem/router/voip box on a UPS. That would keep it
going a few hours assuming the other end of the data connection doesnot go
down. Just make sure you have a 'wired' phone connected! I wonder how many
people have all wireless phones and don't benefit from the fact that the
phone system is pretty robust in a power outage.

I have my DSL modem, routers and server on a ups and it keeps me going
during any type of local failure.