Jeff Abrahamson on 11 Apr 2005 14:14:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DNS weirdness

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:46:49AM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> >   Message 1DKSQ8-0007rI-00 has been frozen.
> >   The sender is <jeff@purple.com>.
> >
> >   The following address(es) have yet to be delivered:
> >     xxx@cs.drexel.edu: lookup of host "mail.purple.com" failed in smarthost router~
>
> Odd, I would have thought exim just used gethostbyname() to resolve
> a host, but maybe not.  It may be doing independent queries, which
> would of course fail with external namerservers.

Odd indeed.  But the bind changes you proposed seem to work so far and
exim is still working, too.  Cool.  Thanks for the help.

But see below:

> I would remove this, except for local machine information.  So asterix's
> hosts file would be reduced to
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.0.6       asterix.purple.com asterix
> (and IPV6 info)
>
> and so on for each machine.  This will prevent wierd failures if you
> ever change DNS but forget to update /etc/hosts.

Ah, good suggestion, thanks.  I hadn't thought of that.

> Ensure zone transfers are working between machines, and make sure
> that the primary recognizes itself as authoritative.

How do I set those up?  I remember reading some stuff on it and
getting a bit lost.  Clearly the tutorial assumed I had thousands of
hosts and the complexity was worth it.  Or else I misunderstood stuff
to be more complicated than it is.

I've been doing the zone transfers by hand (updating bind.config.local
and restarting bind).  A kludge, but I don't exactly change host
name/ip bindings very often.  But it would be nice to do this.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287