William H. Magill on 11 Apr 2005 18:13:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: Wireless Philadelphia ... RFP available

On 08 Apr, 2005, at 17:14, George Gallen wrote:
I don't know. That RFP sounded like someone was dreaming.

I would be more inclined to say, "someone was ingesting hallucinogenic substances."

Unless I'm really out of touch with the technology, these two are incompatible:

"Support for seamless, in-motion usage throughout the Coverage Area by subscribers with service provisioned through a SP. This includes the ability for subscribers to maintain “session-level” persistence while the subscriber’s device is in motion at speeds up to sixty (60) miles per hour. This capability must be supported with no interruption to applications running on the device.

"Support for defining and managing unilateral, inbound roaming relationships whereby subscribers to other Wi-Fi services (e.g. T-Mobile, Sprint) may gain access to the System. WP will be responsible for the negotiation of any business relationships with other Wi-Fi service providers and/or aggregators."

Needless to say, we aren't talking about your favorite (i.e. cheap) 802.11x service here - "other Wi-Fi services (e.g. T-Mobile, Sprint)" - to the best of my knowledge, neither T-Mobile nor Sprint provide Wi-Fi service, but rather "packet radio" (i.e. wireless) communications services -- a big difference.

Wi-Fi is a specific "brand name" describing a specific technology.