Art Alexion on 15 Apr 2005 10:46:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] undo mkfs?

sean finney wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:59:32PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
>

>>This is a 26 GB partition that had about 23 GB of data at the time and I
>>don't have that kind of space elsewhere.
>>

>i don't think unrm will be of much help to you, because iirc unrm
>is for recovering files from their deleted inodes.  if you've mkfs'd
>on top of your old filesystem, chances are you've lost any hope of
>recovering the filesystem metadata.
>
>soo..., you're going to want to use something like lazarus.  lazarus
>will scan across the device block by block, flagging files by
>the type of data they appear to be.

I can't seem to figure out how to use Lazarus.  The man page is sparse,
and the stuff I have found with google seems to be addressed to
recovering from break-ins.  They seem to suggest that you should run
'unrm' before running 'lazarus'.  I can't get 'lazarus' to give me a
complete error, let alone run.  It doesn't seem to take a device
parameter for what you want it to scan.  When I run it, I just get the
message

     $ lazarus
    Can't open

When I run it as root, same thing.

     sudo lazarus
    Can't open

It doesn't even tell me what it can't open.  The "Can't open" message
seems like it is the beginning of an error message.

I installed TCT with apt-get.  Do I have a bad installation or am a just
doing something wrong?

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c