Jonathan E. Magen on 18 Apr 2005 14:17:01 -0000

[PLUG] Debian from floppy on a Dell Latitude LS and networking trouble

Ok. So yesterday at TCF I purchased a Dell Latitude LS secondhand for
a reasonable price. It did not however come with the cable to connect
the external CD drive. (If anyone has a spare cable of the type I need
and is willing to help out, I'd be so very glad and very grateful.)

The floppy drive works fine through the parrallel port and I have been
successful in getting the new sarge installation floppies to get up to
the stage where the installation components are downloaded from the
mirrors. Here lies the problem. I am on my school network and cannot
seem to connect to the repos. When I open up a shell to investigate
the issue, ifconfig shows that I have in fact been assigned an ip
address and all that jazz so I know that the NIC works.

The install floppy does not come with ping however.....which is annoying.

I have another linux machine on my school network that I can use to
get the networking settings from but I'm not sure where to look.

What file can I look at on the working linux machine to get the
required network config information?

--
Jonathan E. Magen
PHN: 267-242-6288