Christopher Shanahan on 3 May 2005 12:38:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Upgrade to SuSE 9.3

On Monday 02 May 2005 19:40, Thomas A. Lowery wrote:
-- snip --

> If you haven't upgrade I'd recommend caution.  My Toshiba was running
> 9.1, but after upgrading KDE doesn't start and the machine won't auto
> shutdown or reboot.

Do you mean upgrade literally? Or, are you referring to a move from SUSE 9.1
to 9.3 in general? In other words, do you think people that do a fresh install
of SUSE 9.3 on a Toshiba laptop will have similar problems?

We all know what 'upgrades' can do to our systems -- in relation to fresh,
clean installs -- especially when you consider a years' worth of upgraded code
(9.1 to 9.3 = one year).

> Also SuSE released a bad package for gtk-qt-engine. I had to replace
> gtk-qt-engine-0.6cvs20050229-4.1.i586.patch.rpm
> with gtk-qt-engine-0.5-9.2.i586.rpm to get any of Mozilla products to work.

I'm on two SUSE mailings lists and while I've heard some of the usual 'new
software' complaints, this is the first time I've heard anyone complain about
gtk-qt-engine causing any (read all) Mozilla products NOT to work. I have
gtk-qt-engine-0.6cvs20050229-4 installed and Firefox works just fine. And, I
have a Toshiba laptop. Maybe I just missed those threads...

Is this just FUD???

--
Christopher Shanahan