Paul L. Snyder on 9 May 2005 16:27:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Synergy shares keyboard, mouse and clipboard

Quoting Ben Dugan <bdugan@curdes.com>:

> Warwick Poole wrote:
> > Just a heads up on this very useful FOSS software, if you dont know
> about it already...
> >
> > http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
>
> Wow! Neat!

Slick.  I've used win2vnc and x2vnc for similar purposes, but this
handles the three-monitor setup on my Windows box cleanly.  The mouse
correctly moves off the edge of the rightmost monitor onto my laptop
screen, whereas win2vnc interprets the right edge of the leftmost
screen as the end of the desktop.

(Incidentally, this is a good way to freak out the non- or
moderately-technical, particularly if you have a wireless laptop.
If someone isn't expecting it, there's a real cognitive disconnect
when the mouse pointer moves off the edge of one computer to
another.)

Note that this doesn't do any authentication or encryption...in a way,
this is better than VNC, which makes you feel secure because you've
set a password.  If you fire up synergy, it just runs, which makes
you feel very...exposed.

A GUI tool to automatically set up an SSH or SSL tunnel would be a
good addition to this product.

pls