Christopher Shanahan on 9 May 2005 19:43:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Any experiences with the iRiver portable players?

On Monday 09 May 2005 10:51, Art Alexion wrote:
> Does it display OGG and FLAC tags?

If you're asking about the iRiver H320's display, than the answer is yes --
and no. As I said, I use my iRiver H320 like any other block device and
transfer files (songs) like I would any other external hard drive, thumbdrive,
etc. I ripped my CDs/songs using KAudioCreator, naming them as follows:
  ~/%{extension}/%{albumartist}/%{albumtitle}/%{artist} - %{title}

The { } information was gleaned from CDDA and is used for album and song
naming. (I admittedly do not understand very much about song tags.) I did have
to go through my collection and alter some of the song names manually -- not
relying on their respective Ogg tags. The H320 is formatted with the FAT32
file system so I ran into a few problems with special characters in the song
names, such as ' ? ' and ' : '. None the less, my iRiver displays the
top-level directory as Ogg (my name), then the artist name (subdirectory),
then the album name (subdirectory), then the song name (file name), all from
CDDA lookup.

Is that what you were asking?

As for FLAC... FLAC files are lossless -- hence the name -- and are therefore
much larger in size. I don't use FLAC for my iRiver.

--
Chris Shanahan