Luke Renn on 17 May 2005 21:03:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mac client, Linux server(s)

* Adam Zion <azion@cceb.med.upenn.edu> [2005-05-17 16:53:36 -0400]:

> 	I just bought my wife an iBook notebook. I'm almost certain that its
> AirPort wireless networking card will work w/my LinkSys 802.11g wireless
> router. My question involves my linux workstations calvin + hobbes.

Should work fine, however, you may have to use hex passcodes.  For
some reason my mac won't connect to my wireless network with string
passcodes.  To use hex, just put a $ in the password field before
entering the hex.

> 	Calvin shares HD space using Samba + nfs. Hobbes shares printers
> w/Samba (we also have a WinXP notebook). Does anyone have enough
> experience working w/Mac clients on linux networks to say how this will
> work, if at all? Ideally, she'll be able to print to one of the printers
> on Hobbes over the network.

It does work.  I think you just have to add printer smb://<ip to
hobbes>/<printer name>.  If you have workgroups setup you should be
able to browse to it.  Its been a while since I've played with my
iBook on my network though.

--
Luke                 | PGP: 0xFBE7D8AF
goseigen@comcast.net | 2A44 9EB2 F541 C1F2 D969  56E3 8617 5B7F FBE7 D8AF