Michael Lazin on 17 May 2005 21:27:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mac client, Linux server(s)

Macs are nice because they are basically *nix at the core.  You should
be able to mount samba or NFS shares without a problem.  I mount NFS
on my mac at home from a sun box.  My mac seems to detect samba shares
out of the box but it takes a little configuring for NFS.

Michael :)

On 5/17/05, Luke Renn <goseigen@comcast.net> wrote:
> * Adam Zion <azion@cceb.med.upenn.edu> [2005-05-17 16:53:36 -0400]:
>
> >       I just bought my wife an iBook notebook. I'm almost certain that its
> > AirPort wireless networking card will work w/my LinkSys 802.11g wireless
> > router. My question involves my linux workstations calvin + hobbes.
>
> Should work fine, however, you may have to use hex passcodes.  For
> some reason my mac won't connect to my wireless network with string
> passcodes.  To use hex, just put a $ in the password field before
> entering the hex.
>
> >       Calvin shares HD space using Samba + nfs. Hobbes shares printers
> > w/Samba (we also have a WinXP notebook). Does anyone have enough
> > experience working w/Mac clients on linux networks to say how this will
> > work, if at all? Ideally, she'll be able to print to one of the printers
> > on Hobbes over the network.
>
> It does work.  I think you just have to add printer smb://<ip to
> hobbes>/<printer name>.  If you have workgroups setup you should be
> able to browse to it.  Its been a while since I've played with my
> iBook on my network though.
>
> --
> Luke                 | PGP: 0xFBE7D8AF
> goseigen@comcast.net | 2A44 9EB2 F541 C1F2 D969  56E3 8617 5B7F FBE7 D8AF

Michael Lazin
http://lazinweb.homelinux.net
Power Mac G4 1.2ghz 768 megs RAM MacOS Server 10.3
Power Book G4 1.33ghz 512 megs RAM MacOS 10.3
PalmOne Treo 650 312mhz 23 megs Memory PalmOS 5.4
Sun Blade 100 500mhz 1 gig RAM dual boot Solaris 10 and Gentoo Linux