Cosmin Nicolaescu on 20 May 2005 04:56:51 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Drexel MCS Society Debate

On Thu, May 19, 2005 10:16 pm, eric@lucii.org said:
> Thanks to you PLUG folk that showed up at the debate and to all who
> helped me prepare in this forum.  I felt reasonably prepared (well I
> _did_ kind of read Jon's PDA email almost verbatim.)  I had fun doing it
> and feel like I got the Linux/Open Source case across fairly well.  It
> helps that the audience appeared to be 98% Linux users :-)
>
> Alex from Microsoft was a bit abrasive at times but overall seemed
> fairly reasonable.  What did you observers think?  I found out when
> speaking with him before the debate that his job is to go to colleges in
> the Delaware Valley area and promote Microsoft tools and products!  He
> drives a BMW so evidently it pays well.  I did not know I'd be up
> against a professional "hit man".
>
> My wife attended and said I was a bit too nice when he got kind of
> snotty.  I told her that I do NOT respond in kind to attitude stuff
> because it just escalates without any ultimate benefit to the audience.
> I did get off a good one when he was repeatedly denigrating "Linux" for
> having so many different installers compared to the nice, easy installer
> for Windows.  I told him it was good that Windows installs easily
> because I've had to re-install windows dozens of times! :-)  That got a
> laugh.
>
> In retrospect I wish I had the time to brush up on the various types
> of licenses.  Ah, well.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Eric
> --
> #  Eric A Lucas                        |             __|__
> #   "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond |          *---oOo---*
> #    of earth and danced the skies on  |    __|__             __|__
> #    laughter-silvered wings...        | *---oOo---*       *---oOo---*
> #        -- John Gillespie Magee Jr.   |

Congratulations on the debate! I think it went fairly ok...I felt that you
could've been a bit more aggressive, especially since he was at times. You
did come up with good points, and you were well prepared. As a speaker he
seemed a lot more loose, which is normal since he does this for a living.
He was actually at Drexel last term to give a talk about M$. If I knew it
was him I would've warned you. I do feel like on security and install we
could've made Linux seem better, but overall I think you did a good job.

Thank you for volunteering to participare and doing a good job!

- -Cos

- --
GPG key fingerprint = DE9F 4664 E666 2BD1 903E  4F4D EA31 5FB1 C7F9 08C1