Kam Salisbury on 29 May 2005 03:35:58 -0000

[PLUG] More USB wisdom

I saw a few other posts about USB and external hard disks as well as other devices being flaky for others as well as myself - so I wanted to share how I got my devices working.

I am running Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary (2.6 series kernel) and with the built-in USB ports some devices such as my mp3 player (first generation iRiver) worked without complaint. The external hard disk, a generic case and an 80GB drive, failed to mount no matter what I did. (I played with modules, cabling, etc.)

Finally, I realized the issue was the USB ports. So a vanilla USB 2.0 card (Belkin brand I think) got installed and the built-in usb ports disabled in the BIOS. Viola'! Now I have a "disk 2" icon on my Ubuntu desktop!

It was incompatible hardware all along. Go figure.

Kam Salisbury
http://salisburyfamily.us