Jeff Abrahamson on 29 May 2005 20:28:11 -0000

[PLUG] AOL weird spam behavior

I'm trying to figure out how to handle AOL.

I was having trouble with AOL not accepting mail from me.  I would get
messages like this from them:

      <addressee>@aol.com
	SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
	host mailin-03.mx.aol.com [205.188.158.121]: 554-:
	 (HVU:B1) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554hvub1.html
	554 TRANSACTION FAILED

Following the URL, I talked to them, they cleared whatever it was on
their servers and set up a "complaint loop".  Here's the faq entry on
that:

    13 How do I setup a Feedback Loop with AOL so that I will receive
    my AOL Spam Complaints back?

    In order to get spam complaints from AOL, please fill out the
    Feedback Loop Request form. We will need any IP addresses you are
    using to send mail to AOL and an e-mail address to which we can
    send complaints. The Feedback Loop will forward any mail coming
    from the IP address(es) listed which is reported as spam back to
    an e-mail address of your choice.

    The Feedback Loop should enable AOL members who perceive sent
    e-mail from the listed IP address(es) as spam to be removed from
    any mailing list they may be on. No further contact should be made
    with the member and the e-mail address should be removed from your
    list. This should lead to an improvement in complaint levels, and
    consequently decrease the likelihood of blocks being places
    against an IP or domain. The Feedback Loop also enables ISPs and
    Network Administrators evidence of a security hole(s) on their
    network that could potentially be exploited to send unsolicited
    e-mail.

I set this up.  All of the complaints are AOL users complaining about
legitimate mail coming from purple.com hosted lists to which they have
subscribed.

So now I again can't send to AOL addresses.  I'm not sure what I want
to do.  One possibility is to notify all AOL subscribers on purple
hosted lists that they are being unsubcribed because of the draconian
policies of their ISP and the irresponsible behavior of a few.  This
seems outrageous of me.  But it's absurd for AOL to behave this way,
also.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Any thoughts on how best to deal
with it?

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287