Stephen Gran on 29 May 2005 21:21:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] AOL weird spam behavior

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 04:27:56PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I'm trying to figure out how to handle AOL.
>
> I was having trouble with AOL not accepting mail from me.  I would get
> messages like this from them:
>
> I set this up.  All of the complaints are AOL users complaining about
> legitimate mail coming from purple.com hosted lists to which they have
> subscribed.

Use verp for mailing lists.  You will then see who complained from the
envelope that aol sends the message back to.  then just unsubscribe the
individual knuckleheads and wait.  There's nothing else you can do with
aol, unfortunately - they just are too bug to listen or care.

If you are using mailman 2.0, verp is easy.  If you're using 1.x, it
will have to be done inside of exim (I think you use exim4) and there
are some tricks floating around for that.  Let me (us) know if you need
help setting it up.
|  Stephen Gran                  | If men acted after marriage as they do  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | during courtship, there would be fewer  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | divorces -- and more bankruptcies.   -- |
|  			         | Frances Rodman                          |