Chris Duryee on 12 Jun 2005 19:20:09 -0000

[PLUG] single-user backup suggestions

I'm trying to figure out a way to do backups of my hard drive (a PC
that's only used by myself, running Gentoo) to files which will be
burned to DVD media. Any suggestions and/or experiences would be
helpful.

My main goal is to have files created overnight in a directory for me to
burn at my leisure.

Right now I'm debating between dump and tar. Any suggestions? Most
information that I find online is for server backups, not for
single-user machine backups.

I have ~2.5GB of critical files that must be backed up every few nights
(system and home directory stuff), and ~45GB of media stuff that only
needs to be backed up incrementally every month, to add new files. My
system is pretty quiet at night, except for running emerge scripts that
download things for compilation later in the day (after I can check its
pretended output for sanity).

--
Chris Duryee <duryee@gmail.com> PGP: A9016BD6