Stephen Gran on 14 Jun 2005 22:43:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] New xterm behavior in Debian

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 05:06:46PM -0400, LeRoy Cressy said:
> When I commented out the /etc/bash.bashrc block containing the the above
> mentioned case block, the system returned back to complying to xterm -T
> creating a title string.
>
> When I searched the web I saw this block mentioned as setting the title
> of an xterm.  I think that it has to deal with \033]0; which might mean
> where echo puts the string.
>
> \033 = ESC
> ]0  Titlebar in the xterm
> \007 = BEL
>
> I tried this in a xterm and the titlebar changes appropriately
>
> echo -ne "\033]0;Who Is ${USER}?\007"
>
> Also, PROMPT_COMMAND is just a variable being set with an echo string

Interesting - I just tried it here, and it sets my xterm title, but not
any of my other terms.  I had assumed they all worked the same so I
didn't go any farther with it.

Oddly, I have the same lines in bash.bashrc, and yet xterm -T works
here.  If I omit the -T, I do not get the title user@host as expected
from that snippet.

Strange.
|  Stephen Gran                  | My own business always bores me to      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | death; I prefer other people's.   --    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Oscar Wilde                             |